NCEPLIBS on Stampede 2 in the tutorial

I have been trying to compile SR-Weather on Stampede 2 following the instructions at https://github.com/ywangwof/ufs-srweather-app/wiki/Getting-Started-on-Stampede. I started with installing NCEPLIBS-external and NCEPLIBS following https://github.com/NOAA-EMC/NCEPLIBS-external/blob/develop/doc/README_stampede_intel.txt, using the latest repository of these two packages. However, after installing these two packages and get back to the instructions of SR-Weather, I was not able to find the NCEPLIBS and ESMF modules as instructed below:

module use -a /path/to/NCEPLIBS/library/modules
module load NCEPLIBS/2.0.0
module load esmf/8.0.0

These two modules are not included in the NCEPLIBS/modules folder. Below is a list of all the modules in that folder:

ls modules/
bacio  crtm  g2c     gfsio  ip2          nemsio     sfcio  sp   w3emc  wgrib2
bufr   g2    g2tmpl  ip     landsfcutil  nemsiogfs  sigio  upp  w3nco  wrf_io

Was my installation of NCEPLIBS/NCEPLIBS-external incomplete? I didn't see any error messages in the make log or the deploy log. Also, there is no "deploy" command associated with NCEPLIBS-external in the instruction above, and ESMF is part of NCEPLIBS-external.

Thank you for your help!

Here are files under the modules/ for my installation on stampede:

ls modules/

bacio  esmf    gfsio  jasper       libpng    nemsio     sfcio  w3emc   wrf_io

bufr   g2      ip     landsfcutil  NCEPLIBS  nemsiogfs  sigio  w3nco

crtm   g2tmpl  ip2    libjpeg      nceppost  netcdf     sp     wgrib2

Could you show show me your log file for the istallation?

Thanks,

Linlin

In reply to by Linlin.Pan

You can find the log files (log.make, log.cmake, and log.deploy for NCEPLIBS only) in /work/02191/yuz31/stampede2/NCEPLIBS/src/NCEPLIBS/build and /work/02191/yuz31/stampede2/NCEPLIBS/src/NCEPLIBS-external/build. I have also changed the permission of /work/02191/yuz31/stampede2/NCEPLIBS/modules and folders within in case you want to take a look. Please let me know if you have permission issues or if you want to inspect other files.

I also noticed that there is a DEPLOY option in CMakeList.txt of NCEPLIBS-external; however, no matter I changed its value to ON in CMakeList.txt or added a "-DDEPLOY=ON" flag when executing cmake, the "deploy" option did not appear in the Makefile that was generated by cmake.

Thank you for your help!

Yunji

Your installations seem fine. I don't see any error message. The files under directory stampede2/NCEPLIBS/modules are also fine.

(base) login3.stampede2(1116)$ ls modules/

bacio  esmf  g2tmpl  ip2          nemsio     sfcio  upp    wgrib2

bufr   g2    gfsio   landsfcutil  nemsiogfs  sigio  w3emc  wrf_io

crtm   g2c   ip      libpng       netcdf     sp     w3nco

Thanks,

Linlin

Hello Yuz31,

I just installed the NCEPLIBs following instruction in /work/00315/tg455890/stampede2/regional_fv3/ufs_testing/NCEPLIBS-external/doc/README_stampede_intel.txt and everything works as expected (see /work/00315/tg455890/stampede2/regional_fv3/NCEPLIBS_SRWv1.0/modules).

My building environment is set as this file, /work/00315/tg455890/stampede2/regional_fv3/ufs_testing/env.nceplibs-external. You can try again or use my installed libraries here, /work/00315/tg455890/stampede2/regional_fv3/NCEPLIBS_SRWv1.0 directly.

Yunheng.

Hello, again,

I see the problem in your building, /work/02191/yuz31/stampede2/NCEPLIBS/modules. You did not check out the repository NCEPLIBS-external with tag "ufs-v2.0.0" as instructed in NCEPLIBS-external/doc/README_stampede_intel.txt.

Yunheng,

Thank you very much for your instructions! I followed the procedures at the GitHub repository of NCEPLIBS-external here, which seems to use the develop branch instead of the ufs-v2.0.0 branch. I ended up manually loading all NCEPLIBS modules and set a environment variable $ESMFMKFILE that points to esmf.mk, which seems to solve the missing module issue. The compilation was successful and the test case seems to be running all right too.

Thanks again!